Seaside Decorated Sunhat


I first crafted this decorative wall hanging just about two decades ago. 

It was quite a simple piece when I first started. Just a plain straw hat, with some navy blue lace glued around the edge. I added some blue colored sea oats, the white dove, a few small starfish that I bought from a tourist shop at Sea World, and some shells that I collected from a trip to the beach. And that was it.

I was inspired to "beef it up" a bit, by my Aunt CC, who is quite a professional seashell crafter in Wilmington, NC. So I added some more collected shells, and some blue dyed coconut husk that came from an old bag of potpourri.

Over the years the lace has faded in color to more of a medium blue, and the oats have lost most of their color, returning them to their original brown, but I don't really mind. It's a more natural look.

In all the many places I've lived, it has always hung on a bathroom wall, as it still does today. No matter where I live, or how many bathrooms my home may have, I always have one that is done in "Seaside" decor.

I think it will always be one of my favorite pieces.





No comments:

Post a Comment