How I Named My Shop

Naming your Etsy shop is no easy task.


It's gotta be catchy. It's gotta be on point with your product. It's gotta feel good when it rolls off of your tongue and falls out of your mouth. Okay so maybe that last part was just my OCD talking. 

I thought the name of my first Etsy shop was as cute as a button: Stacee's Paper Cuts. Cute, right? But that's because I was only doing papercrafts; decoupage and paper mosaic. But that was years ago, and that shop closed shortly after opening. My account remained lifeless for years. But I'm back!

Mama's Got A Brand New Bag


Now I do plastic canvas work, but not just plastic canvas work. I also decorate wine bottles and mason jars. I'm still doing paper mosaics and decoupage. I make wall hangings, tissue box covers, kitchen magnets, decorations for various holidays, and there's still more to come. I'm currently learning to make lovely lotus flowers out of plastic water bottles. And I have these cool nature photographs that I'd like to turn into gift tags.

I'm the kind of crafter who says,

"Hey! Did you see that YouTube video of that crafty lady making that cool and awesome thing out of those everyday items?! I'm going to try that! ... and I'm gonna make one of those! ... and I gotta learn to do that!" 

And if it all comes out right in the end, it goes into my shop.

I sat down to compose the perfect moniker. Something diverse. Something cohesive, but something that doesn't pin me down. Something completely random.

I had an instant attraction to the word 'random'. I pondered on Stacee's Handmade Randomness and Stacee's Random Crafting for a while, but another phrase had popped into my head, and seemed intent on applying for the position.

Random Whatnot

Now, that word and I have history, so I wasn't jumping on that band wagon quite so quickly. It's no big deal, really. Just a word that my OCD didn't appreciate. No rhyme, no reason. It just didn't feel right coming out my mouth or landing on my ears.

Unfortunately, it was my best friend's signature word. She said it all the time, and I could do nothing but cringe. Now here I was, with all of this whatnot rolling around in my head.  I struggled against it, until the night of "the incident".

I had been cleaning up the dinner dishes, and I referred to something that was clearly a "whatever", as a "whatnot".

It was obvious, at that point, that the word wasn't going to go away, and so I gave the name proper consideration. I rolled it around in my mouth and tasted it for a while. When applied to the varied assortment of items I intended to sell, it seemed highly appropriate. Stacee's Random Whatnot.

The rest, they say, is history.
Hmm. I wonder how you came up with your shop name?

Tell me the story of your Etsy shop name in the comments below.

2 comments:

  1. I had the same thing going on when I opened my shop. I was basically ONLY working with paper products; banners, party bags & boxes, confetti, etc. thus, I named my shop "The Paper Place". After about a year in business I accidentally fell into a different line of products using vinyl. I made a garden sign for one of my sister's for her birthday. Everyone seemed to love it so I threw it into my shop to see if it would sell. It took off! I started getting requests for custom garden signs and then started getting requests for other sizes of outdoor signage. Fairly quickly, outdoor signs became my biggest seller. So now, here I was, selling an outrageous number of outdoor signs with a name like "The Paper Place". My shop had already found popularity by then though so I didn't want to change the name and confuse my customers. Instead, I ended up adding "And More" to the end of my shop name so it's now "The Paper Place and More". I sell all varieties of party supplies, gifts and photo props for all occasions, keeping my main focus on paper and vinyl crafts. The name isn't as cute as it was when it was just "The Paper Place" but I'll live with it. With over 1,200 sales I don't want to confuse my customer base and risk losing my repeat customers (which I have a LOT of) by changing the name completely. I'm afraid if I did that people would think they stumbled upon the wrong shop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true! When you already have a nice customer base, changing the name could be confusing to some. A simple add on like "& More!" is a good fix. All hail the ampersand!!

      Delete