My First Victorian Decoupage Vase


I had never done decoupage before, and this was my first ever attempt. It might be a little difficult to really see the detail, but I'm sure you get the idea.

It started off as a clear glass vase. The kind you get when someone sends you an FTD arrangement. In fact, I think that's exactly how I got this one, and if I hadn't found some way to decorate it, it would've ended up at the Goodwill store. That's where I get my vases now. There are a million of them at the Goodwill store!

It was a spur of the moment idea. One of those ideas that I get when I'm in the hypo-manic phase of my Bipolar cycle. (I get a million ideas, and I need to do them all, and right now!). 

I didn't have patterned papers, so I searched the internet for free printable Victorian style scrapbook papers. This method will use up a lot of printer ink, but if you're ever in a pinch for just the right paper, it's an option. I also printed pictures of "Victorian ladies", and "antique time pieces". 

On a notepad file in my computer, I typed out a few lines from a favorite old poem and printed it in a fancy french script font. When I had all that I needed, I "aged" a few of the photos by brushing them lightly with a strong black tea, and let them air dry.

I ripped all of the papers into smaller pieces. Ripped edges have so much more character than those that are precisely cut by scissors. Ripped edges are for layered decoupage, cut edges are for mosaics.

Each torn piece was slightly layered over the previous one, and brushed over with Mod Podge glue. When the entire piece was covered, I traced over some of the torn edges with a gold metallic craft paint. It added dimension and depth. I also used the gold paint to stamp the word "love" (which was written in script) onto one side.

At the end, I brushed the whole vase with two coats of a clear acrylic finish, topped it off with a sheer pink ribbon around the neck, and piece of pink felt glued to the bottom.

I had intended to sell it right from the start, but when I set it on my own shelf, it instantly became mine. It looks so nice arranged among a couple of black wrought iron candle holders, a ceramic green milk pitcher, and a wooden mortar and pestle set. It was so very... Victorian.

No comments:

Post a Comment