Heavy Are The Hats of Small Business

When I decided to open a home based small business, I knew I would be wearing a variety of hats along the road to success. I knew each hat would come with its own responsibilities. and a certain set of skills required. I had a rough idea of how many hats there were, and that I would have to embrace each one, without exception, in order to succeed.

What I didn't know was how much I would enjoy wearing a few of those hats, and grow to loathe some others. I didn't know how important each one would come to be, and how much I needed to learn (I'm still learning!) to improve in each field. I didn't know how heavy those hats would be when you have to wear several of them at once.

These are the hats. 

I am the starving Artist.
I am the maker of the thing. You know... that thing in my shop that caught your eye and made you smile. Well, I made it. I make things. They're born out my imagination, or inspirations, and I love them like children. I'm a free spirited hippie having a love affair with color! 

I'm the Managing Owner.
It was my idea to try to sell these things that the Artist creates. I'm basically in charge of all the other hats. I keep track of supply and organization. I run the scheduling, making sure each department has the time they need to complete their tasks. The Artist and I are the public faces of the business. While she gets to dance around with paint in her hair and glue on her fingers, I have keep a more level head. 

As the Photographer, I produce the public images for the Etsy catalogue, and social media advertising. I design the staging areas for the photo shoots to represent our theme of "colorful, whimsical, eclectic, feminine". Posing the products "just so" and then choosing which of the many photos will be edited for clarity, and saved. I'm also in the process of learning the arts of videography! 

The Copy Writer and Editor, here, who creates the actual Etsy listing. I have to accurately describe each product, listing all manufacturing materials, item attributes, and selling points. There are legalities and platform guidelines to consider each time. The Social Media Manager and I work together to brainstorm and contemplate popular hashtags to be used under both of our hats.

As disorganized as I am, I'm the Accountant. I struggle to set the price points of our items, to make it profitable while keeping it affordable, taking all the many platform fees in account. The price of commerce is steep. I'm the one who has to remember to keep the receipt after the Artist whips through a clearance sale at Michael's. (and where did I put those receipts, anyway?) I keep track of income, expenses, and financial accounts. I'm responsible for collecting all the proper/legal documentation for tax filing, so I don't go to jail! Wrestling with deductions and all the tedious numbers is exhausting and very stressful.

As the Social Media Manager, I create and share content on multiple social media platforms. The social aspect can be fun, but there is a lot of pressure to constantly create fresh content, that fits your niche, for the various algorithms, and communities. I regularly consult analytics programs to be sure that I'm reaching the right audience.

When a sale comes in, the Owner and the Artist do their happy dance, but now it's up to me, the Shipping Manager to get the order out. It gets cleaned, wrapped and packed with a personal note, and labeled. I'm responsible scheduling the pickup with the post office, and being sure that they actually picked it up.

And finally, as the Customer Service representative, I answer questions from potential customers, and handle any issue that may require diplomacy. I normally do not accept returns or provide refunds, but I do take each issue seriously, and separately, and provide proper support. 


Whew! So, ya thinking about starting a small business? LOL 
But seriously, if you think you can handle balancing all these hats, or if you have a partner or supportive team and you're ready to give Etsy a go...
Click on this referral link before you open your shop, and you will be able to list your first 40 items for free (no listing fee). This referral also rewards me with 40 free listings. It's a win/win!

No comments:

Post a Comment