Pretty In Pink Decorative Box

It seems that a staple product in plastic canvas work is the infamous "trinket box". A decorative box that can be used to store various items such as jewelry, potpourri... or anything your heart desires, as long as it fits. 

Pink Beaded Decorative Box

This pink beaded box is one of my favorite pieces. Maybe because it's such a girly piece, and I am a girl after all. My girly-girl teenage daughter doesn't think I should sell it. She has hinted to me that I should just give it to her!

Princess Pink (as I call it) acrylic yarn was sewn into cut sheets of plastic canvas, in a checkerboard pattern. Each small square is sewn in the opposite direction to the one before it. When the light hits it just right, it plays a little trick on the eye, and almost appears to be two different shades of pink! I didn't even realize that the light thing would happen. I just wanted a more interesting pattern, and the happy little discovery occurred. 

The lid was sewn in the same pattern, but made just slightly larger so that it overlaps, but fits snugly on the box.

sparkly glass beads

Once all of the pieces were assembled, I hand stitched pink glass beads around the the entire bottom, and outlined several squares on the sides and the top of the lid. The pink beads themselves have a silver inner lining, so they really are quite sparkly.

pink felt and craft foam lining

Finally, pink felt was glued all around the inside of the box and the lid, to hide the stitching and create a more finished look. And a piece of pink craft foam was inserted to snugly fit the bottom and top of the lid.

"Sshhh, don't tell her she's a jewelry box. She thinks she's a princess".

Click this link the view this piece in my shop!



No comments:

Post a Comment