Clipper Ship Wall Art

I have always adored a good old, turn of a long lost century, seafaring, Settler Carrying, tall sails bellowing in the wind... Clipper Ship. In fact, I once was utterly obsessed, having framed prints on the wall, pages of my own sketches, and a collection of small scale models. 

Early on in those days, when I first began my interest in plastic canvas work, I decided to trace a few of my sketches onto clear plastic canvas with a black permanent marker. I followed the traced lines with black yarn, and then slowly began filling them in (like a coloring book page) with long stitches of simple color. The entire background was filled in with continental stitches in a light blue. I framed them all out in a royal blue.

Clipper Ship

These were made somewhere in the vicinity of 1991. There were at one time three of them, but a few years ago, one of them began to unravel. The other two remain tacked to my bedroom wall (as they always have been), right next to what remains of my model ship collection.  

Schooner
You can see that they are a little fuzzy, and they do need a good washing. But they are twenty four years old! That's endurance.

2 comments:

  1. Love this work!!!
    Anything having to do with the sea always makes me smile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you and I are in the same boat!
      (HaHa, you see what I did there?!)
      I recognize you because I visited your blog just this morning to love on your photographs. I really appreciate that you came to visit mine!

      Delete